The Church of St Mary and St Lawrence has a considerable history and is centred in the centre of the village of Stratford Tony. Stratford Tony probably had a population of about a hundred until the 19th century though today it less than half this figure.
The village name is derived from the fact that the Roman road or "Strat" from Old Sarum to Blanford crosses the River Ebble by a ford nearby. The second part of the name derives from Ralph de Toni, standard bearer to William the Conqueror at the Battle of Hastings in 1066, to whom the manor of Stratford was given.
Source: Anthony Barnes, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries
The Church is thought to stand on the foundations of a predecessor church. The Chancel is 14th century, with elegant windows.In the south wall there is a piscina of Purbeck marble which, like the 13th century font is thought to be part of the previous building.
The tower arch and porch date from about 1500. There are two bells in the tower by John Lott of Warminster (1672) and Clement Tosier of Salisbury (1696). Though there was a third bell by John Wallis of Salisbury, this was moved to Coombe Bissett to replace a cracked bell, also by Wallis.
The nave is thought to be again on an old foundation and is post-medieval. The south wall was rebuilt in the mid-18th century and the north wall rebuilt later in the same century. The church has weathered well and make the church more than worthy of its delightful raised setting.
St Mary's was vested in the Redundant Churches Fund (now the Church Conservation Trust) in 1986.